STEP 1: SEO
Make your business website search-friendly for Google by making it easy for the search engine to understand your page. Strive to gain exposure by getting your business mentioned by other websites and ask them to link back to your page. With some simple SEO tips, your small business can rank higher in search engines, helping generate more traffic to your business website.
Basic Tips To Make Your Website Search-Friendly:
- Set a preferred domain URL– nowadays, people don’t always use a leading ‘www’ on their website domain name, they just use sample.com rather than www.sample.com. Your web host should allow you to set your preferred version.
- Use keywords in your content– write naturally in your content and don’t repeat the same keywords to frequently so it doesn’t look like spam. Use semantic-based words related to your field throughout your business website.
- Install a Yoast SEO WordPress plugin– this plugin makes it much easier to optimize your content for search engines like Google by letting you add proper SEO titles and descriptions to your content. The advanced user can implement XML sitemaps, canonical URLs, breadcrumbs, etc.
- Customize your permalink structure– in WordPress you can customize your URLs to be short and easier to remember by changing the permalink structure. Make it simple by using a shortened version of your post title, if you wish.
- Submit a sitemap to Google– this helps search engines understand your business website better and make help your page rank higher on search engines.
- Add ALT tags to images– you can also help Google understand your images by including a description in your image ALT tags.
- Link to other sites and back to your older content – outbound linking can help your website’s authority, making it appear more relevant which can rank better. Internal links help the search engines understand your content more easily.
STEP 2: SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING
Set up your social media platform accounts and start building your online presence! Social media can really benefit your business by getting you exposure! A significant amount of your traffic will come from social media alone! There’s no question your business should be on this marketing wave.
Think about this: your audience is on social media right now. You have the opportunity to expand your reach and promote your brand to thousands of new people and you can do it for free!
Create profiles on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook as a base. If you sell products or can work with many visuals, also get a Pinterest account.
Social Media Marketing Tips:
- Add Social Media Follow Buttons On Your Business website
Install social media buttons on your site where they will be visible. Try on your sidebar or the top navigation pane.
- Make your content easy to share
- Install social media sharing buttons–You can place social share buttons on the top, left or bottom of your content.
- Optimize your images– there are optimal image sizes for each social media platform. Here’s a cheatsheet to help you optimize.
- When posting content on social media:
- Create an introductionthat will grab attention or have a call to action.
- Use popular hashtags!
- Use social media management tools to schedule your posts (i.e. Hootsuite and Buffer).
- Each social network has different times when user activity is at its highest. Avoid dead time zones.
- Be social!
- Find your audience on social media and add people that might be interested in your business website and services.
- Join relevant groups or follow others in the industry.
- Engage with followers and ask questions to start conversations.
- Share other people’s content. If you’re on twitter @mention
- Commenton other people’s blogs. Leave useful comments and people will recognize your expertise and come to your page.
- Run a contest
- Host a giveaway to help draw attention and attract your audience.
STEP 3: BLOGGING
Blogging allows you to increase awareness about your brand or service, establish credibility and show your expertise in your specific niche.
Tips For Effective Blogging:
- Write useful content and be consistent– once or twice a week will help your business rank in search engines and attract social media traffic.
- Add attractive visuals– make your images more shareable by avoiding generic stock photos.
- Make it search-friendly– use keywords, SEO and hashtags.
- Write in an easy-to-read format– keep your audience interested and wanting more by making it engaging and easy to read.